Caramelised Red Onion, Goats Cheese and Sweet Potato Tart
Thyme infused shortcrust pastry
- 160g very cold unsalted butter cut into no larger than 1cm cubes
- 110-120mls ice cold water
- 2 cups plain flour (approx 250g)
- Couple of sprigs fresh thyme, stalks removed
- I whole egg for egg wash
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper (adjust to taste)
- A little extra flour for rolling out pastry
- 3 large eggs
- 250g creme fraiche
- 200g goats feta crumbled into pieces
- 1 medium sweet potato cut into 2cm pieces, seasoned, tossed in olive oil, roasted, and set aside.
- 1 large red onion cut into 8 pieces, seasoned, tossed in olive oil, roasted, and set aside.
- 1 tsp of Urban Forager Vegetable Concentrate, beaten together with the egg mixture.
- Couple of extra sprigs of thyme to garnish
- Place flour, chopped butter, salt, pepper and thyme into a food processor and pulse for around 30 seconds. Then, through the top, with machine running, begin adding around 90mls of the ice cold water. If the mix is still in crumbly bits, add the rest of the water and stop the machine the minute the dough comes together into a ball. Remove the dough, wrap in baking paper, and rest in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
- Grease your tart shell with a little butter.
- Place a baking sheet in the lower half of the oven and preheat to 180 degrees.
- Remove pastry from fridge
- Lightly sprinkle a little flour over the pastry, rolling pin and benchtop, use more as needed, but not too much. Roll out pastry thinly to fit the tart shell.
- Lay the pastry over the rolling pin and ease into the shell. Never stretch the pastry to fit, as this will cause shrinking in the oven. Trim any excess pastry from edges.
- Prick the base of the unbaked tart shell with a fork and pop into the freezer whilst you assemble the filling.
- Whisk together until light and fluffy -3 large eggs, 250g creme fraiche and 1 tspn Urban Forager Vegetable Stock Concentrate.
- Remove tart shell from freezer and lay pieces of sweet potato and red onion into the tart shell. Pour over the egg mixture and crumble in the goat feta.
- Brush the sides of the pastry with egg wash.
- Carefully place the tart into the oven directly onto the hot baking sheet.
- Bake for 30-35 mins, or until puffed up and golden.
- Remove from oven, allow to rest for 5 mins, then turn out onto a flat plate or wooden board.
- Garnish with fresh thyme.
- Serve warm or cold with a seasonal salad.
Substitute a good quality bought shortcrust pastry if you’re short on time (see what we did there!?).
If you’re a confident cook, substitute the sweet potato, red onion and goats cheese for your favourite combination of seasonal vegetables. e.g. roasted capsicum, cherry tomatoes, pitted olives and mozzarella; or roasted asparagus and leek with lemon, pepper and garlic.
Wholemeal spelt flour alternative: Use whole meal spelt flour and reduce the amount of water by about 25ml (start with 65ml then slowly add extra water. I used about 95ml in total).
Subscribe to our Newsletter