Vegan Buddha Bowl (Green rice and Satay Tofu)
Now, this recipe has a few components to it, but trust the process! This is the perfect recipe for someone who loves to multi-task in the kitchen, and loves all the different flavours from one bowl. If you’re one of those people who can’t stand the taste of coriander (fun fact: there’s a specific genetic mutation that occurs in some people that make coriander taste like soap!), you could swap out the coriander with parsley
- 5 coriander bunches roots removed (or alternatively, parsley)
- 3 big handfuls of spinach leaves
- 5 basil leaves
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons of Urban Forager Vegetable Stock Concentrate in 1½ cups of water
- 1 cup sushi rice
- Zest and juice of half a lime
Satay Tofu (combined and marinated for 20 minutes)
- 400g of sliced firm tofu
- 2 teaspoon light soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon of Urban Forager Vegetable Stock Concentrate
- 1 teaspoon crunchy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ a red onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste (click here for our home made recipe)
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 2 teaspoon palm sugar
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
- Juice of ½ a lime
Pickled carrot (combine all ingredients in a jar, shake & refrigerate)
- 1 carrot shredded to thin julienne
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- a good pinch of sea salt
- Prepare the tofu to marinate and preheat the oven to 220C
- Rinse rice in cold water until the water runs clear. Place in a small sauce saucepan with the stock concentrate and water. Put on a high heat and bring to the bowl stir with a fork gently then cover and simmer on a low heat until all the stock has been absorbed this will take about 10 – 12 minutes.
- Put the herbs and spinach into a blender with the coconut milk, blend until you have a smooth green paste.
- Add all the contents of the blender to the cooked rice, stir gently until the rice appears green. Add zest and juice of half a lime and check for seasoning. Place lid over saucepan to keep warm.
- After the tofu has marinated for 20 minutes, place on a lined tray and bake in oven for 25 minutes, turning over halfway.
- Meanwhile, prepare the satay sauce. Add chopped onion and garlic to a small saucepan with the sesame oil and curry paste. Sautè until the onion is soft, add the soy, tamarind, palm sugar and coconut milk mix well. Stir in the peanut butter and remove from heat then add the lime juice. Check seasoning and add anything if needed.
- Place warm green rice in a bowl. Add tofu to one side and top with satay sauce
- In separate sections of the bowl add pickled carrot, shredded red cabbage, and avocado slices. Garnish with lime wedge and enjoy!
Additional Toppings (optional):
- shredded red cabbage
- avocado slices
- cucumber slices
- spring onions chopped
NOTE: To make this recipe quickly you could buy satay tofu and pickled veg to use on your green rice.
Subscribe to our Newsletter